Monday, November 29, 2010

potential marrow match

In my line of work, we deal with sick people on a regular basis. At the end of last year, there were two patients that had various forms of leukemia or lymphoma. They were really sick and neither of their blood work looked conducive to survival much longer. We didn't get any samples on either of them for a few months and didn't think much about it.

Then at the beginning of this year, both of them started coming back to get their blood checked post marrow transplant. The difference was night and day - not only in their blood work, but also in their health. They both got a second chance at life and were so much better off than they had been a few months previously.

That got me thinking. What if maybe I could help someone, give them that second chance? After a few weeks of contemplation on the matter, I decided to join the National Bone Marrow Registry. I decided it was worth the small amount of inconvenience it would cause me to donate if I could make that much of a difference in someone's life. The odds of being a match for someone not related to you is slim, so I figured after I sent in my cheek swab, I wouldn't hear anything from them besides the monthly email.

Today, however, I got this email:


Dear Tiffany,

When you joined the National Marrow Donor Program's Be The Match Registry
® on 02/11/2010 you did so knowing that one day you may help save a life.

You appeared as a possible marrow match for a patient considering a transplant. The patient's doctor is trying to determine treatment options as quickly as possible. Although the patient's search is in the early stages, you could be the donor this patient is searching for.

Please contact me to discuss your interest, medical history, and any questions you have.
We need to hear from you as soon as possible - even if you're no longer interested in donating marrow.




I called the National Marrow Donor Program and they explained in depth the process and what I might have to do. Since it is still in preliminary stages, I might not even be the best match for the patient, but I am high on the list. They said I will know if I will be considered further as a donor within the next 3 weeks.

Maybe I will be able to help someone afterall.

1 comment:

  1. So cool! I want to do that when I get back to the states!

    ReplyDelete