Saturday, November 9, 2013

Today's DIY: Laundry Soap

Over the past year or so I have become much more of a do-it-yourself kind of person. I have mostly dealt in the realm of food doing things such as making my own vanilla extract, beans, bread doughs, etc. It's not that I'm terrified of what is in the store bought versions, it just brings a sense of satisfaction knowing that I can and did do it by myself! I have also learned that more often than not the homemade version is just as good, if not better, and usually a lot cheaper than the store bought one. 

Since we moved out to Connecticut I have been debating making my own laundry soap. We had a pretty good supply already and it's not like we go through a ton (though I'm guessing that will change here real soon) so I haven't had a need to buy any yet - and I probably wouldn't have for at least another month. I've heard really good things about homemade laundry soap though and decided that since I'm also trying to be thrifty, having become the sole income provider, that now was a perfect time to try it out. I opted to make it before baby came so that I won't have to worry about it when I am still adjusting to life with a newborn. 

A friend and veteran laundry soap maker suggested this recipe so that is the one I used. Everything about it was super easy! I was worried about finding all the ingredients, but they were all there in the detergent aisle right by each other like they were catering to us do-it-yourselfers. 


I opted to use the Purex Crystals for baby because they are hypoallergenic and dye free and since we don't know if our little guy will have any sensitivities like that, I figured better safe than sorry. The for baby kind only came in 28 oz bottles, so I bought two of those. Some of the reviews mention that the scent becomes overpowering with the two big bottles worth of crystals so I figure if I want it more smelly it will be easy enough to add another bottle, but I'll start from here and see how I feel. After just mixing it, I am very pleased with the scent and my whole kitchen smells lovely. haha. 

I also bought a 6 gallon container with a lid to store it in. I didn't have anything big enough to mix it all in or store it and this was prettier than a 5 gallon bucket (not that it really matters though, haha).


This picture was taken after I filled the emptied purex bottles with the mixture, so it was a little more full to begin with. 

I also kept the scooper from the oxyclean to help me fill my bottles. It might come in handy later too so I have it just in case.


And finished product!


Here is my cost breakdown for comparison purposes:

Blue Container to store it in: $6.47 (one time purchase)
Borax: $3.38
Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda: $3.24
Oxyclean: $7.52
Soap (5 Fels Naphtha bars 0.97 each): $4.85
Arm and Hammer Baking Soda: $2.24
Purex Crystals (2 small bottles $4.76 each): $9.52

Total today: $37.22
Total not including storage container (presumably all future totals): $30.75

It's supposed to last for a reeeeaaally long time - which I can see happening because it makes a ton. While it might be a larger expense initially, in the long run it does appear that it will be cheaper overall - even with the container included in the price. My frugal side is very pleased about that. I should note that the bigger Purex Crystals were only $8 something, so it would be a little cheaper if you went that route.

Here's to hoping it is as effective as I have heard it is and will be the only laundry soap we use from this point forward! I am excited to give it a try! So much so in fact that I might have to try a load or two before I finish the rest of the laundry soap I already had. Hooray for being domestic and resourceful!

No comments:

Post a Comment