Monday, May 2, 2011

Fish is on the Menu!

Fish Tacos to be exact!


Ever since I started to get a little more brave as far as cooking goes Hunter has wanted me to make fish. I have basically flat out refused up until this point because there are so many things that can go wrong when cooking fish - at least that was my rational.

Last night, however, I got brave. I found a recipe from Betty Crocker that seemed hard to mess up (also it includes avocado which makes everything better, haha). I refused to buy the fish until the day before I actually made it though. They turned out really well and we both enjoyed them. I thought it appropriate to share the love.

Here is a beginner's guide to delicious fish tacos:

Grilled Fish Tacos with Creamy Avocado Topping:

1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced (I used 2 - we are big fans!)
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup ranch dressing
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 lb halibut, skin removed, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used half halibut half tilapia because halibut is sooo bloody expensive, but the halibut was definitely the better tasting fish)
Lettuce
Tomato
Taco shells

In a medium bowl, mix avocado, cilantro, and dressing. Set aside. In a large bowl mix oil, lemon pepper seasoning, chili powder, and salt. Add halibut; toss gently to coat. Place in grill basket. Place basket on grill over medium heat. Cover grill, cook 5 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily. Fill taco shells and enjoy!

Side note: due to lack of a grill, I cooked it in a frying pan on my stove top and it worked wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment