Monday, September 30, 2013

Fetal Growth Check

As I mentioned previously, extra monitoring is required with a two vessel cord to ensure adequate growth. What this meant for me (I think it may be different based on the doctor, other things going on, etc.) was an extra ultrasound early in the third trimester. Well, I had that ultrasound last week at almost 31 weeks.

Here are some pictures of our little guy!


He moved all around the whole time. We weren't able to get any good 3D pictures because he kept his face smashed up in the placenta for most of it, but that's okay, the 2D ones look great! It was a lot of fun - we got to see him open and close his mouth, his little chest move up and down as he breathed, and watch his little heart beat. 


He even has hair! Kinda cool that we can know that already!


Hunter was very fascinated in this ultrasound because they had just had a lecture on fetal circulation the day before so he could name all the parts of his heart and say exactly what they were doing and why. We got a couple videos as well so he could show his classmates and see if they could recognize things. 

And now for the whole reason we were there in the first place: checking out his size. As it turns out, our little guy isn't going to be so little. On that day, 30 weeks and 6 days, his estimated weight was 4 lbs 6 oz. That puts him in the 91st percentile for size at this point. Looks like I need to be preparing myself for a 9 pounder! Oye. haha. Rest assured though, I am not gestational diabetic (I did have to take the 3 hour tolerance test because I failed the screen by one lousy point! But, I passed the 3 hour with no problems) and my weight gain is right on track, even lower end of normal. After asking both of those questions, the doctor said we are just genetically programmed to have big babies. However, it is wonderful to know that he is growing as he should be and there are no complications thus far. 

We'll finish this post off with my latest belly pic at 30 weeks:

1 comment:

  1. That's so interesting that your baby is projected to be huge, because I have 3 good friends that I was pregnant with (including you) and the other two both had babies that were over 9 lbs! I guess I lucked out with my teeny 6 lb. 8 oz. Harper. Also, I think my niece's cord was 2 vessel.

    ReplyDelete